Monday 17 August 2015

Arriving into Laos...

My first taste of Laos life and the culture of how Laos functions was experienced on my arrival at the border. It was chaos in a sense that no immigration official was around and nobody seemed to know what was happening. I just sat down and smiled thinking...I'm now in Laos. This is not a criticism of the Laos way of life, it is more of an acceptance as I am already aware of Laos culture and life from my previous trip here, therefore perhaps I am more attuned to this type of situation. After some hassle of getting my visa sorted, as I am to have a specific visa so I am able to work...I was finally allowed in an hour and a half later! 

The initial two days in Vientiane was spent meeting a friend who enjoys running Carlo, we met for our evening meal and had a lovely walk around the city at night. The next day I met my old monk friend Ping, who is now longer a monk but now a teacher in the city. We enjoyed a day of sightseeing with Ping and then had a lovely lunch by the river. Later in the evening, we met up with Carlo and ventured on a 10k run along the Mekong River at sunset....it was hideously humid but I managed to survive! It was wonderful to just relax by the river and enjoy some food and drink afterwards. Meeting up with friends is an important element for me as it enables me to feel connected to the place I am in, reflecting on old memories and creating new experiences.

We then flew to Xieng Khouang, meeting my lovely mentor Bouaphone, who is the Health Officer at ChildFund Laos. After arriving, Bouaphone picked us up with her husband and children and we ventured to the Plain of Jars. These are ancient ruins, that hold so much mystery and beauty around them. It was a fascinating afternoon enjoying the Jar Sites and also appreciating the history of the province and how it was so heavily bombed during the Vietnam-American War. They called it the secret war, as Laos was not supposed to be at war at all, yet there country was used as a battlefield where millions of bombs dropped on it's beauty. Today there are still over 80million unexploded bombs within the province and continual work and efforts are being made for bomb clearance and education to support this is being provided everyday.

The following day, I began placement this first began in Phonsavan, meeting the minister of health of the province. I was so nervous, filled with anxiety of meeting a government official. The visa and paperwork aspects are crucially important here, I am not able to move province or do anything until all paperwork is checked and cleared. The minister was friendly and I communicated through Bouaphone and was he expressed his thanks for coming to Laos and spending time in the Nonghet District. We then ventured on a three hour journey to Nonghet. 

Once we arrived, Nonghet was hustling with people, animals and all kinds of beautiful village chores of daily life. We settled into our staff house, then went out to eat some traditional Lao Soup. I began my morning by meeting the ChildFund Team and being welcomed by everyone. I will venture to the Nonghet District Hospital shortly and begin my time working with the local people. I am feeling excited, nervous and strangely at home, the environment is so welcoming it is hard to not love the Laos way of life.

Getting ready for my first big day on placement

Arriving into Nonghet

 

No comments:

Post a Comment